Encounters of the Third World
Monday, February 15, 2010
Better late then never



So here it is, I've finally started a blog of my peace corps adventures now that I am half way through with my service. I would have started one sooner, but I quickly realized that when you open this site from a computer in Thailand, all the tabs and directions on how to start a blog are in Thai... Hence my dilemma. But now that I know how to read thai a little better, I finally found the "translate" button. To be quite honest, I was a little embarrassed at how very little I felt like I had accomplished up until about a month ago. I have been in Thailand for 1 year 2 weeks and 4 days and I have just begun to feel productive. That's not to say that I haven't had experiences. I've probably experienced more in the past year then I have in my entire life to date. I've been able to make friends here that I well likely have for life, and that in itself is amazing to me. I came in as an outsider, and now I am as much a part of the community as anyone who was born and raised here. And this is where I've been having problems. I feel like this relationship with my villagers is completely one sided. They have been able to give me such great experiences, and up until recently, I feel like I have not held up my end of the bargain.

I am a Peace Corps Volunteer. Inherently I am supposed to enact some type of positive change in my host communities. That's what I signed on for and that is exactly what I expected to get, but as things often do, it sounded a whole lot easier on paper. So far the biggest challenges i've been faced with is how to be productive. Sometimes I feel like if I was in a more needy country, life would be a lot easier(development wise anyway), but then of course, I'd have to give up my internet, running water, air conditioned 7/11's, and crazy nights in Bangkok... On second thought, how needs real peace corps experiences?? POSH CORPS ALL THE WAY BABY!! Life here definitely has its ups and downs, dont get me wrong, but I look at my friends in PC Panama, Morocco and Cambodia, and cant help but thank my lucky stars that I dont have to live like that, no matter how envious I sometimes am of their experiences.

Anywho, now that I've began to actually pay back my community for the kindness and hospitality they've shown me, I figured I should start to document my time here in Thailand, while I still have some time left. I should preface this by saying I AM NOT A WRITER. There are few things I like less then sitting down and writing my "thoughts" down. I can definitely appreciate those who can and do enjoy doing it, but I myself never really had a knack for it. Non the less, I will force myself to be as faithful with this blog as possible, if not for anyone else, then for my own documentation. There's nothing like finding an old diary from grade school and reliving those experience through the eyes of a younger you. And all I ask for is that when I become rich and famous ;-) I can look back at this blog and remember all the things I learned about my self and those around me while I was here.

Until Next time....
PORSCHA
posted by Porscha @ 10:51 PM  
7 Comments:
  • At February 16, 2010 at 7:11 PM, Blogger K. said…

    Porscha, you may not enjoy doing it, but you are a Beautiful writer -- you always have been. I'm glad you've started blogging your adventures (even misadventures) to share with us. It's kind of like being with you (which is especially consoling since I don't seem to be able to convince you to come home LOL :) Anyway, SweetHeart, Thank You for letting us be a part of your life overseas and somewhat witness the even more beautiful person you're becoming. I LOVE YOU & MISS YOU MUCH.
    Kiva

     
  • At February 16, 2010 at 10:44 PM, Blogger soyoungson said…

    Chop mak mak.

     
  • At February 17, 2010 at 9:09 AM, Blogger ~~~ said…

    I agree with Aunt Kiva. I LOVE reading your writing; it's fluid and elegant, entertaining and very easy to follow. I am so glad you FINALLY POSTED SOMETHING!!! YAY!! It's also a plus that you're finally feeling productive. You look great, you sound great from the conversations I've had with you, and I continue to wish you the best of adventures. You deserve it.

    <3 sandzimus

     
  • At February 17, 2010 at 10:19 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I don't be noin' bout nuthin' else, but I think u done talked good.

     
  • At February 18, 2010 at 7:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH MY!!!! I'm so excited. Please keep blogging and I shall keep reading. I think your adventures in Thailand: playing with tigers, air conditioned 7/11s, and giant garbage bags of elephant poop are amazing. Your first post was wonderful, please do continue to write more!
    NUMBER SEVEN FAN (I figure you have at least 6 ppl in the world that are bigger fans of you than I)
    Roxanne

     
  • At February 22, 2010 at 7:49 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    SISTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are so amazing!! Like seriously!! I'm so glad your starting to do this!!!! And I don't know what your talking about when you say your not able to write....your writing is WAY better than mine lol. But anyways! I'm so glad your fealing productive and I can't wait for your next blog!! I'm so excited sister!!!!!!!

    KEEP 'EM COMING!!!!!!!!!!!!

    [Heart],
    Sissy

     
  • At February 25, 2010 at 9:57 AM, Blogger Brandelyn said…

    Y'all got 7-11's?! And here I am worried about you and you're sitting back sippen on slurpies! LOL!!!! Porscha I am so very, very proud of you!! Please keep blogging and when you have grandkids you will have recorded evidence!! Love you honey and I so beyond proud of you!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Porscha
Home: Chai Nat, Thailand
About Me: The opinions of this blog are mine, and mine only. They do not reflect the opinions and/or views of the Peace Corps or the United States government.
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Sidebar Section

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Duis ligula lorem, consequat eget, tristique nec, auctor quis, purus. Vivamus ut sem. Fusce aliquam nunc vitae purus.

Links

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER