Encounters of the Third World
Thursday, February 18, 2010
Hello! My name is พอร์ช่า วินส๊ตัน
I've been meeting a lot of new people lately. Which surprised me because I've lived here for so long already (more then 10 months). For the past week my community has been holding community development planning meetings for each village (there are 5 in total). These meetings are part of the government's attempt to improve the lives of the rural villager by having everyday community members decide what changes they would like to see in their village. These meetings take place once every year and once all ideas are collected, it is supposed to be put into an action plan and projects should be completed within 1 to 2 years. The only problem with this is that nothing ever gets completed. Project ideas from the previous years are never started or completed, and are therefore pushed to the next years action plan, leaving little room for new activities and ideas. This is one of the things I am trying to help make a little more productive, but I digress. I say all that to say, this is how I have been meeting so many new people. I thought I knew everyone in my community, but I guess I'm not as knowledgeable as I though. I've been to 3 such meeting so far and have meet a lot of new people that I could possibly work with to make these ideas into realities.The only problem is, I have to survive their questions first.


(Me and the Community Doctor. I'm sure I was asked something embarrassing)

The average meeting starts with a Village headman opening the meeting and welcoming all of the distinguished guests (of which I am not one), followed by the community Doctor who I have been working with a lot recently. Now the Doctor thinks he can speak English, and granted he does have a larger grasp of the English vocabulary as does the average villager, but he is still far from coherent. So he always askes me to speak English with the villagers in the short time they give me at these meetings to introduce myself and what I do. I usually say a few words in English and everyone is amazed because I look so much like a Thai person, but I speak English so well. Everyone laughs and gets a big kick out of it, and when I start speaking Thai they are really floored. I have accepted my role as the "comic relief" if you will, because not only am I getting a chance to interact with people I wouldnt have otherwise, I am also getting a lot of good information from the villagers themselves and what visions they have for their community. I am quit often, the only person at these meetings taking notes, and it has been very beneficial.



After my initial speech (in Thai) of who I am and what I do, the floor is opened up for questions. The most common question the villagers ask of me is if I have a boyfriend. I am constantly trying to be married off to a Thai man so that I wont have to go back to America when my time in the Peace Corps is up. Those of you who know me, know why this could never be (though I have seen a couple of Thai men that were worth a second look, in Bangkok of course). They also ask me how old I am, what my family does, if one or both of my parents are Thai, and what country I'm "really" from. To this day, even people who I speak with everyday and consider close friends have trouble believing that I am American. And if they finally consed that I am truly a person born of the United States, then they are convinced that I was born white and that the hot Thai sun has simply turned my skin this color. I guess you cant win 'em all.

All in all its been a great learning experience both for me and the villagers who come to these meetings. I've even started telling jokes at some of them to help me get through the questions and of course, to faithfully play my role of the "awkward farong" to the best of my ability. And I think I'm doing a pretty good job! Already I've began developing possible literacy, drug abuse and agriculture projects just from the information I was able to get out of these meetings. And I guess having to publicly turn down marriage proposals from parents and defend my nationality is a small price to pay for productivity.

(Me, Pi Mai, And the Village Headman for Village 5)

Until Next time...
PORSCHA

posted by Porscha @ 7:09 PM  
5 Comments:
  • At February 18, 2010 at 11:38 PM, Blogger Sarah said…

    Loving your new blog! Keep up the good work!

    PS: maybe if you didnt speak thai so well, they would start to believe you are American!

     
  • At February 22, 2010 at 8:09 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I love this one Sister! You're so SMART :-D
    I'm so proud of you! I know how inept you were feeling not too long ago and now with all these community meetings you're def gonna have your hands full!!! This is AWESOME! Now you can tell ur stupid balat exactly where to shove it! hehehehe

    btw...don't be too closed off to those marraige proposals. Its always a good idea to test the waters...lol

    You're the bestest and I miss and love you all the days of my life!!!

     
  • At February 22, 2010 at 10:49 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    As I'm reading this, I can't stop cheesing and crying at the same time. You are so unbelievably awesome! I miss you so much! I'm so proud of you...ok I'm crying again. Go out and conquer the world!

     
  • At February 25, 2010 at 10:11 AM, Blogger Brandelyn said…

    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! I don't know why but i was giggling the whole time i was reading this!! AHAHAHHAAHHA You better get you a Thai husband! And looking at you in those pictures, I have to say you are looking quite Thai. That is an awesome thing!!
    Porscha you are doing amazing things out there!! I am so very, very proud of you. I know I am very impressed and do not hesitate to brag about you every opportunity i get!!! Love you soooo much!
    B

     
  • At February 25, 2010 at 11:41 AM, Blogger ~~~ said…

    i'm loving every minute of this. maybe you ARE white, and the thai sun really DID turn you the color you are...hee hee! SO COOL SANDZ, SOO COOL. you know you've arrived when the natives are trying to marry their sons off to get you to stay. what's more, you're actually able to bring insight and initiative into stagnant areas of these villages; it's a two fold benefit! i like that it's not like you're making these things up either; you're taking the ideas of the people and showing how they can be put into action. it's great! YAY!!!! YOU'RE LIFE IS SO AMAZING!!!! =D keep on, keepin on!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Porscha
Home: Chai Nat, Thailand
About Me: The opinions of this blog are mine, and mine only. They do not reflect the opinions and/or views of the Peace Corps or the United States government.
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Sidebar Section

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Duis ligula lorem, consequat eget, tristique nec, auctor quis, purus. Vivamus ut sem. Fusce aliquam nunc vitae purus.

Links

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER